Car dual mass flywheels transmission systems
The Technology perfectly filters out engine torsion vibrations and improves shifting comfort in addition to noise reduction
Dual mass flywheel for the best vehicle efficiency and driver comfort. Every second car which rolls off the assembly line is fitted with a DMF - this equipment rate is continuously increasing. The dual mass flywheel helps filter out dynamic vibrations between the engine and the gearbox. Thanks to two independent flywheels connected via a bearing or bushing, including a damper system, DMF proofs the sensitive gearbox and rest of vehicles against the engine explosions’ vibrations, thus improving driving comfort.
Valeo proposes 5 innovative solutions: curved-spring, inner damper, LTD, Pendulum, VBlade.
DMF with inner damper : At high engine speeds, the centrifugal load pushes the springs against the spring guides and creates friction. Due to this friction, the active number of coil springs is reduced, therefore, the effective spring stiffness is increased and filtering capacity is reduced. In the DMF with inner springs, small straight springs are integrated in the drive plate. Less sensitive to the centrifugal load, they are able to filter the vibrations.
For some extremely demanding applications and especially on rear wheel drive (RWD) vehicles, it is necessary to obtain an extremely low level of vibration at the gearbox entry level. Valeo’s long travel damper (LTD) technology, developed for automatic transmission damping, is integrated in the DMF to reach this target. Long travel damper DMF : The LTD DMF significantly reduces perceived vibrations and engine noise. This represents a major step forward in powertrain filtration technologies.
This advance is especially important as the fuel-saving engines now being developed have higher torque and, consequently, generate greater vibrations, particularly at low speeds. The LTD DMF absorbs torque vibrations generated by the engine to the transmission, thereby increasing the comfort of the vehicle's occupants. Two compact filtration devices give the LTD DMF the qualities required to become an essential component in tomorrow's conventional high-performance engines as well as for hybrid powertrains, which have the strictest installation constraints. The LTD technology is based on two sets of three springs operating in series and synchronised by a back plate. The straight springs are less sensitive to the centrifugal load than the curved springs. This provides less friction, hence the filtering is better than the one with curved springs.
In addition to the known dual mass flywheel technology, the LTD DMF integrates a long travel damper developed by Valeo for torque converters in automatic transmissions. This combination allows it to provide optimal filtration, especially during the startup, thanks to a maximum angular displacement of 80°, as well as an exceptional performance level in all engine regimes. Valeo’s long travel damper dual mass flywheel offers comfort levels which had never been achieved previously on the most fuel-efficient engines.
Designed for long lasting performance
- High-grade “best-in-class” spring wire used
- Long-life ball bearings and bushings
- Added friction damping system design is stable for life
Specifically designed for each vehicle application
- Tuned with low stiffness for maximum noise reduction
- Optimized filtering performance for “rattling” and “booming” issues
- Applications from 200Nm up to 500Nm torque engines
Improved driving comfort
- Improved gear shift comfort and gearbox synchronizer durability by reduction of clutch disc inertia
- Fuel consumption reduction is achieved by driving at lower speeds due to excellent noise reduction
Valeo O.E. Quality maker since 1923
• Valeo is O.E. and O.E.S. partner of most car manufacturers.
• With 95 years of O.E. expertise in friction material engineering and production, Valeo certifies outstanding DMF performance thanks to best-in-class friction materials.
• Valeo DMF technologies ensure an excellent driving experience with 100% torque transmission, high filtration of vibration and an improved shifting comfort.
Dual Mass Flywheel Range: choose quality and comfort, choose Valeo!
FullPACK DMF: ALL-IN-ONE solution
Valeo Kitting Offer for both hydraulic or mechanical bearings
• Easy to order: A FullPACK DMF is composed of the DMF, the disc, the cover, the bearing (either hydraulic or mechanical) and the screws. No components mismatching risk.
• Easy to stock: all components in one single box
• Easy to fit: no additional specific tools needed, all parts included.
KIT4P conversion kits
The aftermarket economical solution for demanding applications
• KIT4P replaces standard fit DMF by using a solid flywheel and a LTD system in the clutch friction plate
• The solid flywheel durability provides excellent thermal resistance and full engine and gear box protection.
• The solid flywheel has no wear parts: no need to replace the whole clutch system a second time over vehicle lifetime.